21 June 2006

More About British Slang

Here's a website that's a good browse: A Dictionary of Slang. It features slang and colloquialisms from the U.K. (some explicitly sexual, so consider yourself warned). Many of the words I'm familiar with already because we use them in Canada. But there are many more that I've never heard of. I learned about the words "gatted," "nang," and "thrutch" all in one quick browse, and there's a lot of pages I didn't have the chance to get to. I'll be going back, though! Via arianafrench.com.


Blogger Orange Blossom Goddess (aka Heather) said...

Where do you find all this interesting stuff?!?

6/21/2006 06:52:00 a.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm glad you like it! I browse through a lot of blogs and websites (instead of doing more useful stuff like gardening or cleaning the house).

6/21/2006 07:30:00 a.m.  
Blogger Maxine said...

Hmm, well, Amy, you have stumped me, I have never heard of these three!
Did you see Douglas on Crossword bebop picking me up on "giving a bollocking" as he'd never heard the expression (used a lot over here)? Is "bollocking" in your british slang dictionary (or dikker as we call it in british slang)?

6/21/2006 01:36:00 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

It sure is! It's defined as "noun. a severe reprimand."

6/22/2006 05:57:00 a.m.  
Blogger Maxine said...

Thanks! I'll tell Douglas if he asks again.

6/22/2006 02:55:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home