06 August 2006

The Domesday Book Online

The Domesday Book is now online thanks to the National Archives in England.

I especially liked browsing through the list of names of Essex landowners. I saw the names of Countess Judith; Walter the Cook; Goscelin the lorimer; Frodo, brother of the abbot; and Roger God-save-the-ladies (I swear I'm not making this up). The National Archives has a good website about Domesday. You can read about the background to it (what it is, why it was created) and you can find out what the information in it can tell us about Anglo-Saxon England. There is also an online Latin tutorial that’s suitable for complete beginners. There is a section for children, too—they can play a game that asks them to count the animals on the farm (and then there’s an explanation about why that was important for Domesday). For some analysis of Domesday, you can check out J. J. Cohen’s comments about Domesday and colonialism. Via In The Middle.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

Apparently this is not very searchable. According to the Times, there is another project, headed by an academic at Kings College London, which will provide searchable text.

8/08/2006 01:54:00 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm looking forward to that! Thanks for letting me know.

8/09/2006 08:02:00 a.m.  
Blogger Matthew Cornell said...

Interesting - I'd never heard of the Domesday Book before...

8/11/2006 10:03:00 a.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

Well, I'm glad you've made Domesday's acquaintance now! I think it's fun to read about, but then I love English history.

8/11/2006 10:42:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home