28 April 2006

A Pain-Free Method of Learning Latin

I've just discovered a great character that I didn't know existed: Minimus: The Mouse That Made Latin Cool. I love learning languages, and I think Latin should be required for every child. Minimus is a great way for students to ease into learning a language, a culture, and a history. As the website says, "The course centres on a real family who lived at Vindolanda in 100AD: Flavius, the fort commander, his wife Lepidina, their three children, assorted household slaves, their cat Vibrissa - and Minimus the mouse! It features many of the artefacts and writing tablets from the Vindolanda excavations." So far there are two books out: Minimus and Minimus Secundus. You can start learning Latin online by visiting the comic strip. Alternately, you can learn how to make your own Roman sandals. Via In The Middle.

3 Comments:

Blogger Maxine Clarke said...

My younger daughter Jenny is hoping to start learning Latin at secondary school, which she starts in September. Not many schools in the UK teach it (in the public sector I mean!), so she is lucky to have the chance. I will send her this website and hope she'll be keen to read the books.
Thanks for finding this site!

4/30/2006 12:09:00 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

Not too many schools in Canada teach it either, which I find incomprehensible.

I hope Jenny enjoys the books!

5/04/2006 01:45:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
Minimus is a great resource for younger learners of Latin.

Also useful is the Latinum podcast, which offers audio lessons in spoken Latin.

http://latinum.mypodcast.com

6/30/2007 03:24:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home