03 May 2006

The Books That Changed Your Life

I've just stumbled across the National Book Foundation's website for the Books That Changed Your Life. The website has a list of National Book Awards winners and finalists who have volunteered what books changed their lives; you can see that list here. The site features readers' contributions, so you could E-mail your list of books (along with the explanation for your pick). Featured here is a book that I managed to miss when it came out in 2002: The Book That Changed My Life, a collection of interviews on this topic with the likes of Cynthia Ozick, E.L. Doctorow, Grace Paley, and others. The number of books that changed my life are too numerous to count. But at least one book by Jane Austen would be in the top 10, probably Sense and Sensibility.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my top ten is Laurence's, The Diviners, required reading for a CanLit class. It was the first time I'd read a book by a woman about a woman writer. Made me believe it was possible to be a writer.

5/03/2006 02:51:00 p.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

The Diviners was important for me too. It was the first time that I'd read a book written by a Canadian woman about the kind of people I knew living in the kind of small town I'd grown up in. It validated my childhood.

5/04/2006 01:22:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home