15 August 2006

The Authors Who Dominate My Shelves

Frank Wilson at Books, Inq. reported a while back on an interesting list we could compile: Those Authors Who Dominate Your Shelves. The rules for the list are simple; if we have five books or more by or about an author, we include that person. Here’s my list (in alphabetical order): Douglas Adams Margaret Atwood Jane Austen Maeve Binchy Geoffrey Chaucer Charles Dickens George Eliot James Lee Burke Agatha Christie Raymond Chandler Robertson Davies Dick Francis Sue Grafton Henry James P.D. James Margaret Laurence Naguib Mahfouz Ngaio Marsh L.M. Montgomery Alice Munro Robert B. Parker Sara Paretsky Ellery Queen Ruth Rendell J.K. Rowling Dorothy L. Sayers William Shakespeare Rex Stout J.R.R. Tolkien Anthony Trollope Anne Tyler Evelyn Waugh Minette Walters Laura Ingalls Wilder These are also the authors I re-read frequently. Now, if only I had all the money to buy all the books I’d like to have, the list would be significantly longer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

It's interesting to see this, isn't it?

I keep meaning to check out Alexander McCall Smith. I'm glad you reminded me; I'll try to get to him before the summer's over.

8/16/2006 06:25:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looked through my collection and found very few five-book authors, though I am thrown off by books like The Complete Works of William Shakespeare and The Complete Sherlock Holmes and The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide by Douglas Adams (which includes the whole series--the individual paperbacks were falling apart). The above are each one book, but probably I should include them. It's too much work to figure it out. Still, even taking this into account, I don't have that many five-book authors. Maybe I'm a dabbler.

8/16/2006 09:11:00 a.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

I loved looking through your collection, Scott! There's a lot of overlap between your bookshelves and mine.

8/17/2006 07:05:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess we both have good taste.

8/17/2006 05:19:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home